Last November 13 was the fight between the no. 1 pound for pound Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao against the best counter puncher Juan "Dynamita" Marquez. They are fighting for the welter weight division category. On the early rounds I cannot still determined who is leading or who owns the round because the fight was really close. Both of the fighters box well and landed their punches almost the same. But on the 6 to 8 rounds Marquez dominated due to the solid punches released and landed on the face of Manny that gets him hurt badly. A lot of audience particularly Mexican audience that it's their time to take revenge but at the end Manny emerged as the winner via majority decisions.
Why Pacquiao not Marquez? These are one of the questions being raised as it was announced after 12 rounds. Well personally yes indeed I would be on the side of Marquez because of the impressive performance he did. But it turns out that my mind was change and I'm on favor with Pacquiao due to technical reasons.
1. Pacquiao is the champion and Marquez is the challenger and it should be the challenger must be more aggressive in initiating the fight.
2. Boxing is a two way process box and counter not most of the time you defend but you need to attack.
3. Judges scored not based on the impact or the power he release with his punches to his opponent. It is based on the strategic point like head and some parts of the body.
4. Champion has the advantage since he will just protect his title unlike with the challenger he must grab the title by any good means.
5. Pacquiao's point is not as far with Marquez it was very close fight.
So with these reasons, technically I would still say that it was Pacquiao who emerge as the champion. But in all fairness to Marquez he was able to break the statement for Pacquiao as Mexican executioner. But bottomline they made a good fight!